31.7.14

Back to School Basics


School is right around the corner.  How do you know what you will need (or desperately wish you had) for the school year? Well, read my blog of course! Here is a list of things that I love to have handy during the school year.  Some things pertain to fashion, some pertain to school, and some just are awesome.  Enjoy! 
(Disclaimer: The items I am placing on here are items that I do not own; however they are from companies I have purchased from and would purchase this type of item from again)

1. A Blazer 
If you know me, you know I love a good blazer.  The best part of blazers is they can be worn in so many ways.  A hot pink blazer can jazz up jeans or sharpen up a skirt.  A blazer can be a boyfriend cut or a fitted- 3/4-sleeve gem.  In a blazer you can do you.  These are great for classes and job interviews.  Everyone should own a blazer! You can find blazers at all price ranges.  I have found some at Forever21 for cheap and I have found some at Ann Taylor for a bit more.  I do find however, you get what you pay for.  So be wise in picking out what you want!

Forever21-- $29.80
Ann Taylor -- $109.88
2. A Solid Pair of Leggings
Whether you are looking at going out on the town for some fun or you are procrastinating doing homework by watching vines, a good sturdy pair of leggings will do you well.  Many girls nowadays are wearing these see-through things comparable to tights or nylons.  No more of that ladies--we are ladies!  Leggings can be super fun and super cute with longer tops and even sweatshirts--as long as they are thick enough to hold you together.  Cache, the store I am so incredibly blessed to work for, has WONDERFUL leggings.  I can't even recommend another brand because I always buy them from here--they are worth every single little penny.  I have had a pair of mine from three years and I still have no problems with them. 
Cache -- 158.00
Cache -- $88.00 














3. A Matching Bra/Panty set
If you don't own one of these you are insane.  I haven't seen any research on this, but I am pretty sure 95% of successful women in the world had their first success while wearing a matching set.  Why? Because you feel confident.  Of course you can feel confident in mismatched undergarments.  Confidence certainly comes from within, but its nice to have that extra boost when you feel like you might need it.  You just feel prettier when you are dressed nicely from inside to out and from head to toe.  Try it.  Trust me.  Here is a link to one of my favorite websites for matching bra/panty sets.  I won't post my personal favorites because we are all totally unique in this particular area.  But, as far as I know this website is true to size and completely awesome.  Give the matching set a try.  I promise you will thank me later.
Adore Me

4. Little Black Dress (LBD)
A LBD can be worn for anything.  Parties, galas, formal events at school.  A great LBD can be dressed up and dressed down to match the occasion.  Everyone needs one not only for college but for LIFE!  LBDs can be worn with a multitude of colors depending on seasons and black goes perfectly with both silver and gold.  Black dresses are multipurpose dresses.
Cache -- $218.00              
Charlotte Russe -- $29.99

5. A Pair of Flats
Heels are fun.  Heels look dressy. Heels hurt your feet.  If you aren't carrying a small clutch, you should tuck a nice pair of flats away into your purse.  It will keep you and your feet happy.  
Target -- $19.99
Born Shoes -- $95.00

6.  A Statement Pair of Shoes
You can be a heel girl, or a tennis shoe girl, but either way you need a statement pair.  A pair that says "I know, I'm awesome." This statement pair of shoes should give you confidence, make you smile just because you are wearing them, and be totally unique to you.  What you wear on your feet says a lot about you, dress them up how you want people to see you.  Lots of times people walk with their eyes fixed on the ground--your shoes should make them look up at you because you're worth looking at.  
Steve Madden -- $99.95
Converse --$65.00

7. Colored Pencils/ Coloring Book 
I know what you are thinking, "Liv, You are insane." Yes, I know, tell me something new. (ha!) But in reality coloring can be calming and relaxing and plain ol' fun.  Pop out them coloring books with friends.  I love long talks with people, especially when we get into truly deep conversations, but sometimes I can't sit still.  Coloring helps me focus on the people I am with while giving me an outlet.  It also lets you be connected with the person you are with.  It keeps your hands off of the phone, computer, or remote.  So grab the coloring book and a few friends and make some memories.  Color a picture for your favorite professor.  Have fun. 
Target -- $8.99 (Crayola is the only good brand-Do not buy Rose Art)

Target -- $11.69 (After all, this is a fashion blog)
8. A Beloved Mug (or two, or three, or four...) 
This makes winter days so much warmer and the "I need a bowl of cereal, but all of the bowls are dirty" days a little more manageable.  I love carrying a mug to my observations because it makes me stand out to my kids.  They all have their favorite mugs and so on and so forth--it makes me feel special.  Have a couple mugs that you love.  That when you are having a good day it can rejoice with you, and when you are having a bad day it doesn't care if it catches a tear or two in your warm beverage of choice.  A beloved mug just feels at home in your hands.  I am not posting any links for this one because your mug has to be found wherever you are.  I have found mine at the goodwill, at target, and at other various shops and each one has a special place in my heart for whatever reason. 

9. A Bold Red Lipstick
Yes.  Do the bold lip.  A  good red lip can show that you are fearless.  It shows you are powerful.  It enhances your beauty.  Make sure your red lipstick matches your skin tone--some people can do warmer tones and others need to stick to the cooler side of things.  If you go to any makeup store a consultant can help you find what's best for you.  You may feel like it doesn't look good at first, and you may be scared at first.  It is okay.  Give it a try.  Be the bold beautiful woman you are; show the world.  
Urban Decay -- $22.00 
Sephora -- $16.00
10.  You
Going back to school for some is easy and for others it is hard.  You need the truest, purest, most YOU that you can possibly have.  Always remember that first impressions are important, but remember if you are being the best you can be then that is perfect.  I say that because I don't want anyone to ever think that it is okay to not care what other people think, because it is important, but you can't please everyone.  "Today you are you, that is truer than true.  There is no one alive that is youer than you." Thank you Dr. Seuss for blessing us with those words.  

So there you have it ten things that I think are uber important to start off the school year with.  So get out there and Carpe diem this year, Dear
-Liv

No comments:

Post a Comment